Tuesday 4 November 2008

International Adoption

In the past week, I've inadvertently stumbled upon two separate sources which have reminded me why I want so badly to adopt a child from another (low-income) country. Why am I telling you this? Maybe to simply share with you what drives me (and Chad) to do this; though, I must admit, before I knew the facts or started researching into this the desire was there. I can only explain it as something it seems God wants Chad and me to do.

Consider the following facts:
"The average under-5 mortality rate (possibly the best indicator of overall child welfare) in the low-income countries is 20 times what it is in the high-income countries. It is not uncommon in the poor countries to find rates of under-5 malnutrition of 30 per cent to 40 per cent--though it can be as high as 84 per cent (in Bangladesh) or 63 per cent (in India), which together account for about one in six of the world's population" (Charles R. Beitz, "Social and Cosmopolitan Liberalism," International Affairs 75.3 (1999): 515-29.)

Secondly, I share with you a short video of the adoption story of University of Georgia football coach March Richt and his family. http://theologica.blogspot.com/2008/10/mark-richt-family-and-adoption.html

I look forward, with you, until the time comes.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kim:
    This is wonderful. You and Chad would be so perfect for this. You both have the tempermant and character for this type of adoption. Praying it works out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kimie and Chad~ You both will be the most wonderful parents in the entire world! The child (children)that God places in your care will be blessed beyond measure.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.